Wednesday, 17 June 2015

"People who love to eat are always the best people."

FOOD, FOOD AND MORE FOOD — that pretty much sums up my day.

Finally met up with Nichol after her six months away on exchange! Her exchange life sounded so happening plus she got reborn into an alcoholic, hee hee (◠◡◕✿)

We decided to go all out and splurge on good food today, which is clearly money well spent ʕっ˘ڡ˘ςʔ

First stop...


PADDY HILLS!


I was so excited to eat here, I already went through tons of reviews and decided on my order days ago. I am such a joke.

This was located along South Buona Vista Road, which is actually quite near NUS (am I tempting you). It seemed rather out of the way but the directions given on this blog was extremely helpful.

paddy hills
"Rise and Grind"
I think they meant coffee beans ԅ(≖‿≖ԅ)

Tried squid ink pasta for the first time and the Squid Ink Tagliatelle was quite tasty actually, considering how unappetising a lump of squiggly black pasta can look. I liked the additional crunch from all that fish roe.

paddy hills Squid Ink Tagliatelle
Squid Ink Tagliatelle, $23

The Berry Ricotta Hotcake was gorgeous, so Instagram-worthy!

It resembled madeleines more than pancakes, which was fine by me since it tasted amazing anyway. Warm, sweet hotcakes paired with juicy, tangy berries. I am always a sucker for such contrasting yet complementary combinations (ooh look at that alliteration).

paddy hills berry ricotta hotcake
Berry Ricotta Hotcake, $19

I had my heart set on the Pinkish Lemonade the moment I saw a photo of it online, but it was unimpressive.

The floating bits of pomegranate and that leafy stem thingy (what is that?) made it seem really promising, but it just tasted like lemonade to me. Not worth $7.


paddy hills pinkish lemonade
Pinkish Lemonade, $7

For a hipster OOTD shot that appears to be a mandatory ritual when basic Singaporeans go cafe-hopping, there is always this cool mural by the alley (okay, I am in no position to judge, after taking numerous photos of my food before actually consuming them).


Right after lunch, we set off to our next food destination — such gluttony (◉۝◉)


OLD HEN COFFEE BAR. 


I was first enticed by a photo of their cute, vintage-looking bottles and wanted to try this ever since.

The reviews I read were mostly good, so I had high hopes for it; I think I should learn to manage my expectations.

The Cold Brew White Coffee was quite mediocre in my opinion. To be fair, I am not a coffee-drinker so perhaps my judgment was unreliable. I guess this didn't cut it for me because I have a sweet tooth and usually drink bastardised versions of coffee that are more sugar than actual coffee.

Took a sip of Nichol's Valrhona Dark Cocoa and I liked it better! I'll be back for you (*ˊૢᵕ ˋૢ*)

I wanted to bring the bottles home so I shamelessly asked the waiter if he could rinse them for me. He just gave me new ones instead, aww so nice! I think they are used to having such requests, heh.

Old Hen coffee bar cold brew coffee creamy white valrhona dark cocoa
Cold brew white coffee and Valrhona Dark Cocoa, $6.50

Our stomachs were too full, so we had to go shopping to walk it off, ahaha.

Saw this sunhat at New Look that I really liked, but when will I ever wear a hat??!??! So instead, I settled for a photo of it (◕︿◕✿)


Do people actually wear hats in Singapore? You would think it's a trend given our weather, but I don't actually notice any. Anyway, I'll probably take up two seats on the bus if I wore a huge floppy sunhat. This is for the greater good of the public.

And then our stomachs were ready for more food. Yessss.

Kazokutei


Nichol wanted to try this random Japanese restaurant to satisfy her udon cravings, and we were pleasantly surprised by the quality of their food!

I wasn't very hungry so I ordered the Kokudashi Udon, which was just plain udon with soup. This was the most shiok bowl of udon I've ever had. I never thought much of udon because they were always so mushy and starchy, but this was not any ordinary udon.

First of all, the noodles were thinner than usual. And they were so springy and slightly chewy! I might be exaggerating a little, but I think I could have downed two bowls of this. 

kazokutei kokudashi udon
Kokudashi Udon, $7.90

My tummy has been sufficiently filled with good food, which makes today a good day!

Really glad we got to meet up despite our busy schedules to catch up on the past few months of our lives and complain about boys, he he. Friends since secondary 1 — it is interesting to look back and realise how much we have grown and changed, and how some things never change (e.g. boys being annoying ha ha ha).

Hello Nichol if you are reading this, the title is a quote since you like quotes, hehe (っ´ω`)っ☂⊂(´ω`⊂ )

No comments:

Post a Comment