Friday, 21 August 2015

INTERN ADVENTURES: EPICUREAN MARKET AND BREAD STREET KITCHEN

I seem to be overcompensating with a sudden onslaught of blog entries now that I am slightly more free, hehe.

Anyway, time for my (once again overdue) post about Epicurean Market! It was a hectic week leading up to this, but I got to eat good food for free so yayyyy (⑅˘͈ ᵕ ˘͈ )

First off:

Epicurean Market


I thought the setup was not bad! Classy but casual atmosphere.

All the celebrity chef restaurants in da houseeee.

My boyfriend waiting for me at DC Comics' booth.
(The one with the cape, not the blurry one photobombing my picture)

Just, y'know, hangin' out with Batman.

And now for the food spams!

(I koped the first two photos from the internet, so you can click on the photos to reach the page I stole the image from)

The most shiok of all... Lobster Roll from db Bistro & Oyster Bar!!! ʕっ˘ڡ˘ςʔ

Succulent and fresh lobster meat paired with the softest and most fragrant bread roll eh-verrrr. I am a huge seafood fiend, but at one point I just kept eating the bread and forgot all about the lobster. That's how good the bread was.

Stock photo from MBS (I have seen this photo so many god damn times, hahaha)

Punjab Grill's Butter Chicken was good as well. The tart went really well with the dollop of butter chicken! I would've gobbled it up in one bite if I wasn't trying to look put together in front of the group of local media we were bringing around.

This was reminiscent of all those Ameen suppers I've had in NUS, but with a smaller portion and definitely more delicate than dunking oily butter naan into even oilier butter chicken.

Aww, memories of camps and Tembusu ●︿●

Had some time to spare that day so I roamed around in search of more food to try, and got the Vanilla Panna Cotta, mixed berry compote with hazelnut & almond biscotti from Mozza (phew, what a mouthful).

This was so yummy!!! I loved the combination of everything – the milky panna cotta went well with tangy berries, and the creaminess complemented the crunchy hazelnut and biscotti.

Badly-taken photo obviously by yours truly, haha. This does not do justice to the food.

And the regret buys... dun dun dunnnn.

I saw someone post a photo of grilled abalone from Yilai Abalone, so I decided to give it a try since I love abalone. This was such a letdown. I cannot believe someone managed to screw up one of my favourite foods in the world.

The abalone itself would've tasted great, but there was just SO MUCH GARLIC. All I could taste was garlic. All I could taste for the rest of the day was garlic. All I could taste after chugging water and after brushing my teeth was still garlic.

Such a disgusting photo I took, but it reflects my sentiments towards the food.

Another disappointment was Long Chim's Thai Milk Tea. It wasn't terrible, just rather diluted and really ordinary. I expected more from a celebrity chef restaurant, but oh well nothing can be worse than the garlic disguising itself as abalone.

If that seems like a lot of food already, I am only halfway through, hur hur!

Bread Street Kitchen


I got to have lunch at Bread Street Kitchen with a journalist from Thailand, which was definitely one of the highlights of my intern life thus far because:
  1. They actually trusted me to dine with a journalist and not talk nonsense and make a fool of myself omg I am flattered??!
  2. BSK is fully booked till around October so I wouldn't get to visit the restaurant otherwise
  3. And I didn't have to pay a single cent!
After summarising all the reviews about the restaurant, I finally got to try it and experience what those writers have been talking about all this while. It's about time, hehe (^ω^ʃƪ)

I quite liked the ambiance there! The interior was modern and casual and I don't know what else, because I'm no expert in this area so you can do a quick google search if you want to know more.

(Photos were taken in a hurry because I was paiseh to take photos and make her wait, heh)

Cool ceilings.

Also, I loved the view of the waterfront! I've always liked this area, so dining right next to it was amazing. There's also plenty of natural light for Instagram photos, hehe.

I could sit here and people-watch all day, from cyclists and tourists taking selfies to foreign workers napping in the shade.

They already prepared a sharing menu for us, and oh my goodness there was so much food! We canceled one main course and one dessert and even then, we had a hard time finishing everything.

I'm going to keep the sharing menu as a souvenir, hahaha.

We had four appetizers and they were all so good! My favourite was the seared scallops, because I adore scallops and these were so fresh and sweet!

(Clockwise): Tamarind spiced chicken wings, spring onions, coriander, Seared scallops, carrot puree, treacle cured bacon, apple, celery cress, Sea bass fillet carpaccio, avocado puree, horseradish, ginger, and Flatbread, butternut squash, Taleggio cheese, mushrooms, pine nuts, basil pesto.

We were in a hurry, so main course and dessert came all at one. Not like I'm complaining, because dessert is always welcome any time of the day (ˆ ڡ ˆ)

The hits and misses:

I loved the Traditional fish & chips, crushed peas and tartar sauce! Like the scallops, the fish was really fresh and there was a generous chunk of it. The tartar sauce was good as well, and that's saying something because I don't usually add tartar sauce to my food.

The Macaroni cheese with garlic roasted crumbs is probably not worth your money and stomach space. With so many things to try, I'd rather give this one a miss.

Shepherd's pie with braised lamb, onions, carrots, potato puree and brioche garlic crumbs was supposedly a top favourite, but it didn't taste extraordinary to me.  (Also, what's with the long names?!)

Look at all those food. Such a beautiful sight.

I was so excited for the dessert because of my extremely sweet tooth, and they did not disappoint!

My absolute #1 top favourite was the Chocolate fondant with salted caramel and mint chip ice cream. The mint ice cream and molten chocolate was a match made in heaven! (ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

The Banana sticky toffee pudding, muscovado caramel, clotted cream was not bad – like a very dense and slightly chewy banana cake. It tasted good, but I'm not sure if I'll be willing to pay for it, haha.

We unanimously decided that our least favourite was the Monkey Shoulder Cranachan cheesecake with roasted balsamic strawberries. I liked that the cheesecake was really light, to the point of being more cream than cake, but it was a little too sour for my liking.

Posting this at two in the morning is no joke.

Conclusion: everything was good. Even the less impressive dishes were still good.

Or maybe my judgment was clouded by the excitement of eating at BSK for free, hahaha.

-

Okay, it's 2am and my eyelids are dropping so I should probably go to sleep. Fuck it, I'll proofread this another time.

I think by the end of this post, you can tell I am trying really hard to infuse vivid descriptions in an attempt to improve my writing. It all sounds so unnatural and weird, haha. It's still a work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment