Sunday, 30 April 2017

BANGKOK MEGA POST

Just came back from Bangkok and I am raring to blog about it, wew!

Transport

TRAIN | I used this map, which conveniently combined the BTS + MRT lines.
TAXI | This website estimates taxi fares. Some useful tips:
  • Ask for meter before boarding the cab. 
  • Avoid cabs that hang around tourist areas and intentionally approach tourists.
  • Try to have the address in Thai. Some drivers couldn't understand the address in English.
  • Alternatively, use Uber/Grab since the driver can follow his own Google maps.
  • Uber/Grab worked fine, but it takes time/luck to find a driver.

Hotel: TENFACE Bangkok

tenface bangkok hotel suite living room review
At $67++ per night, our room was freaking huge. We had a living room and a bedroom, there was a bathtub and everything was nicely decorated.

Location was good, near BTS Ploen Chit. The hotel is located deep within an estate but it's still convenient since they have free 24h tuk tuk service to and from the BTS station. Service was amazing. Everyone was friendly and helpful. One night, we were alighting a cab and a staff happened to be nearby. He immediately rushed over to see if there were luggage he could help with. I was so impressed by how proactive he was.

tl;dr - this surpassed expectations. 10/10 would stay again!!!

After You Dessert Cafe (Central World)

after you central world outlet
They have so many outlets that we passed by the cafe 3 times.

after you review shibuya honey toast ferrero
Shibuya Honey Toast
Honey, butter and ice cream - simple and good. Mine was too sweet because I greedily drizzled too much honey.

after you review ferrero toast
Ferrero Toast
I feel like the Ferrero Toast had potential to be amazing, but something in my toast tasted a bit stale :(

Verdict: worth a try, but consider sharing bc it is very sweet.

Audrey Cafe Glamour (Central Embassy)

audrey cafe glamour review crab souffle with lobster sauce
Crab Soufflé with Lobster Brandy Sauce
I loved the lobster sauce! It basically tasted like lobster bisque. Sadly, the soufflé was this airy tasteless poof that seems to serve no purpose other than looking pretty.

audrey cafe glamour review thai tea crepe cake
Thai Tea Crepe Cake
The taste of Thai milk tea wasn't strong enough and this wasn't as crepe-y as the cakes from Lady M. But overall the cake was still pretty good! It's quite refreshing and wasn't overly sweet.

We didn't take photos of our FAVE DISH: the Baby Pizza Tom Yam Kung was a great mix of thin crust pizza, seafood and spicy tangy tom yam sauce - 很开胃。The spice was tolerable as well. I would order this again!

Verdict: expensive meal if you consider the many cheap alternatives in a country famous for street food. I liked the ambience though, it reminded me of Antoinette. I guess if you compare it with Antoinette, this was quite affordable.

theCOMMONS

thecommons the commons bangkok thailand review
This "mall" is filled with cafes and I guess you can cafe hop just within the mall alone. The place was oozing with hipster cafe vibes and it's such a nice place to chill for brunch or dinner.

Roast (theCOMMONS)

thecommons the commons bangkok thailand roast cafe review
Out of the many many cafes at theCOMMONS, we decided to drop by Roast. I think it was a good choice!

thecommons the commons bangkok thailand roast cafe review truffle alfredo
Truffle Alfredo
THIS. WAS. MINDBLOWING!!! The tagliatelle was so thin, silky and soft, it was the most perfectly-cooked pasta I've tasted. The truffle was just right, without being overpowering (a trap that many truffle dishes fall into). I think I could eat this all day every day. This review sums it up.

thecommons the commons bangkok thailand roast cafe review smoked chicken croquette
Smoked Chicken Croquette
If I could taste the haze from Indonesia, this would be it. I feel like this dish was smoked till it cannot be smoked any further. That aside, the croquette had a nice crisp skin and the chicken was soft and creamy. I did enjoy it after I grew accustomed to the smoke.

Verdict: worth visiting for the Truffle Alfredo!!!

Ban Khun Mae

Found some really good reviews for this restaurant at BTS Siam, so we decided to give it a shot. 

ban khun mae review chicken green curry baked rice in pineapple deep fried mushrooms with crispy garlic baked prawns in glass noodle
(Clockwise) Chicken Green Curry, Baked Prawns in Glass Noodles, Deep Fried Mushrooms with Crispy Garlic, Baked Rice in Pineapple
Baked Prawns in Glass Noodles was average - mushy prawns and normal glass noodles. But the spicy sauce they gave us really elevated the dish, so it was good overall.

Deep Fried Mushrooms with Crispy Garlic was shiok!!! I hate mushrooms and I hate garlic, but I loved everything about this dish. Unlike most mushrooms I've tried, this wasn't bitter. And it was very fragrant when paired with the crispy garlic.

Baked Rice in Pineapple was alright. Nothing outstanding, although it looks really cute in that mini pineapple "bowl". But it was damn shiok when paired with the Chicken Green Curry! That combination was THE BOMB. I miss green curry, time to hunt for good Thai food in Singapore.

ban khun mae review mango sticky rice
Mango Sticky Rice
This was quite disappointing actually. The sticky rice was too hard. And they served this first, so we kinda had dessert before our meal?

Verdict: the dishes were pretty hit and miss, but I still enjoyed the meal. It's worth going if you know what to order. 

Cha Tra Mue

chatramue cha tra mue don muang mueang airport
How could I resist Thai Milk Tea when I'm in Bangkok??! Anyway, this outlet was at Don Muang Airport, so it was my final milk tea in Bangkok before flying off.

chatramue cha tra mue soft serve review
Thai Milk Tea soft serve
The outlets at Terminal 21 and Don Muang Airport had soft serve! It's quite refreshing on a bloody hot day.

Asiatique the Riverfront

bangkok thailand asiatique free shuttle boat
Came here on day 2 and proudly left empty-handed because everything was more expensive than Platinum Mall and Talad Rot Fai Ratchada. Also, we reached Asiatique at night and I wish we went earlier because everything would look even prettier at dusk.

bangkok thailand asiatique free shuttle boat
Btw there's a free boat from BTS Saphan Taksin to Asiatique. This woman was shouting "30 baht" and I think it might be a scam.

Open House at Central Embassy

We kept going to Central Embassy because the mall is near our hotel, next to BTS Ploenchit.

central embassy open house bookstore book store cafes
There's this Open House area at level 6 and I really love the concept! A book store sprawled across the entire level, with cafes scattered around. The cafes have this "food court" concept, so you can sit anywhere regardless of the cafe you order from. I love how spacious it is, with sunlight streaming in. They also have lots of comfy-looking couches for you to sit and browse the books.

Big C Supercenter

This supermarket is apparently a tourist attraction, hahaha. We went to the "supercenter" outlet since it was near Platinum Mall and Central World, all at BTS Chitlom.

big c supermarket supercenter supercentre things to buy must buy mama tom yum seafood instant noodles
MAMA Tom Yum Seafood instant noodles
According to the many listicles online, this is one of the must-buy items.

big c supermarket supercenter supercentre things to buy must buy tasto crab curry potato chips
I also got this on a whim and omg I love it!!! I am going to hunt for it in Singapore.

Some useful links for your supermarket snack hunt: one, two, three, four

bangkok thailand cheap massage bai po review
Wanted to try cheap massage and research brought us here. Around SGD14 for 60 minutes full-body Thai massage. Quite shiok, although it was painful when the masseuse pressed into my (probably very tense) muscles.

-

Bumped into Lijun THREE TIMES this trip. We even arrived and left Bangkok on the very same days, hahaha. We must be very fated.

And also a big big big thank you to this dude who got dragged around while I ate and shopped, carried my bag when my shoulders were aching, looked out for clothes I might like, gave me fashion advice when I was indecisive, helped me bargain, prevented my 路痴 self from getting lost, put up with me when I was whiny or angsty or taking lots of unglam photos of him. Hehehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment